Homeshare is a simple but brilliant idea – it is the exchange of services: housing for help in the home.
Homeshare recognises that two people have needs and something to offer. A householder offers accommodation to a homesharer in exchange for an agreed level of help.
Homeshare programmes are run by not-for-profit agencies which:
- aim to meet identified needs within their own communities;
- provide guidelines for the operation of the programme;
- manage the applications process. Often they screen applicants, match them individually and provide support.
No two homeshare programmes are exactly alike, but there are many common threads:
- many homeshare programmes aim to enable older people to remain independent in their own homes by finding a homesharer willing to offer support or a modest income;
- many programmes have been set up to meet the accommodation needs of students in places where accommodation is scarce or expensive;
- some homeshare programmes have been set up to promote solidarity between older and younger generations;
some homeshare programmes cater for the needs of disabled people.
For more details please visit the Homeshare International FAQs.
Calgary started in March 2010. Calgary HomeSHARE matches vulnerable sector HomeOwners with adult HomeSeekers who assist an average maximum of 10 hours a week with simple household tasks in exchange for affordable accommodation.
Connect with us!
Email email@example.com for information and application forms.
Red Deer launched Central Alberta Generations Project in July 2012. You can contact:
Dawna Morey, Project Coordinator: 403-348-6547
5409 50 Ave, Red Deer, AB T4N 4B7
Initial exploration is beginning in Richmond. If you want to help, please email us for contact information.
Les Habitations partagées de l'Outaouais has operated since 1988.
331, boulevard Cité des jeunes, bureau 109
Gatineau (Hull), Québec J8Y 6T3
Tél: (819) 771-6576
Téléc: (819) 771-1063
In Toronto – The Help Exchange http://www.thehelpxchange.com/ was established in 2012.
Other communities are also exploring the possibilities:
Please email us if you would like contact information.
If you are aware of another Home Share program operating in Canada, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on programs in other countries, please visit Homeshare International.
You may also wish to explore other housing options such as: